ttheMOVEMENT - THE POWER OF YET

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

LEADERSHIP CHRONICLES - INFLUENCE

Over the past few years I have had many conversations with colleagues about frustrations they are having
getting constituents to buy-in. Leadership is the process of influencing a group or person to achieve a (common) goal.  Influence is the key word here.  In order for someone to "buy-in" they must allow me to influence them in a way that will facilitate the desired buy in.  This influence doesn't happen because I say so "Trust me", or because it should be so "That's your job", but rather because the constituents allow it to be so.

Influence is a construct of power.  Power is defined as the capacity to influence.  Power is granted by the constituent to the leader for the following 5 reasons. First, I allow you to influence me based on your position, like a manager or a coach.  This is called Legitimate Power.  Second, I allow you to influence me because I like you. This is called Referent Power.  Third, I allow you to influence me because I believe you to have a relatively high level of knowledge and/or expertise as it pertains to the context of our relationship. This is called Expert Power.  Fourth, I allow you to influence me because you can punish me or take something away of value to me.  This is called Coercive Power.  Fifth, I allow you to influence me because you can offer something that is valuable to me.  This is called Reward Power.  Notice, the term "allow" in each definition.  Power is granted, by the constituent, to the leader on the basis of any one of these dimensions or a combination of any or all of them..  Contrary to popular belief.   Think back to some of the great revolutions in world history.  These happened when the constituent took power back from the leaders and refused to grant power any longer.  Truth is that the power really lies with the constituent.

As it pertains to driving buy-in, I would suggest that telling, setting the example or leading by example do not
drive buy-in the way influencing does.  However, influencing is a lot more work because it requires the development of a relationship.  Any relationship definition you read will include the words connection and emotional.  A relationship requires an emotional connection between two people.  Strong, trusting relationships are based on empathy, and an understanding that you are concerned with my best interest.  This understanding is developed through actions and behaviors that drive empathy and trust.  Constituents want to feel like "You get me"; "I've been heard"; "I've been understood"; "My boss/coach cares about me"; "My boss/coach/teammates is looking out for my best interest"; "It is safe to share important things about me to my boss/coach/teammate".  These are some of the behaviors that drive the development of trusting relationships.   When constituents feel they are in a trusting relationship they give power.  When power is given the environment is now set and the path has been paved to facilitate buy-in.

I will be digging deeper into the research on the drivers and predictors of influence and how to develop ones capacity to influence.  I believe this area of leadership studies is a key to driving buy-in with your constituents.  I look forward to sharing my findings in future posts.



No comments:

Post a Comment