ttheMOVEMENT - THE POWER OF YET

Friday, November 22, 2013

LEADERSHIP CHRONICLES - ACCOUNTABILITY

Very interesting team coaching session last night where the concept of accountability was discussed
and demonstrated.  For me, accountability means that it is you and only you who is responsible for your performance.  With teams, it's that you have a responsibility to do everything you can, within your circle of control and circle of influence to perpetuate the desired team performance.  Modeling accountability can create a culture of accountability.

I'd asked our team to follow a spotlighting and appreciation ritual at the end of each practice or game.  Last night I followed up with the team to see if it was being done.  I asked "How's the spotlighting after practices and games going?" There were quizzical, slightly embarrassed, "oh s%^t" looks on the faces of the athletes.  They weren't doing it.  Their answer was "We haven't been doing it".  They were not participating in this ritual that was deemed an important part of their team building.  When I asked for the reason that the spotlighting ritual was not being observed the players offered several reasons; we forgot; they didn't realize that it was a priority, etc.  I allowed the players to share a few more reasons, then I stopped them.  I told them that the reason that the ritual wasn't carried out was because I did not make it so.

One of the best ways to teach accountability is to model it.  I shared with the team that if I wanted the ritual to be practiced, I should have followed up earlier.  In my absence I could have communicated with the head coach about this practice and requested her involvement in ensuring it was done.  I could have delegated the task of facilitating the ritual to a player or players on the team.  I could have explained the ritual to one of the assistant coaches and asked them to facilitate the task in my absence until the ritual became habit and part of the team culture.  While the players chose not to do it, blaming them means not taking accountability.  It means not owning that area of the teams performance.  The players looked even more confused when I took accountability for them not carrying out the ritual.  Coaches are there to help people move to new levels of self-actualization.  We make mistakes, and we must be ok to share that we make mistakes with athletes or staff in our department.  If we want a culture of accountability we must model it.

Explain and model this concept to your staff, athletes or people whom you serve.  Its an important part of individual and team performance.  Stop blaming and take ownership for your performance and the performance of your team.

The interview below highlights the accountability issues at Rutgers University with former Athletic Director, Tim Pernetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment