ttheMOVEMENT - THE POWER OF YET

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

THE DIARY OF A LEADERSHIP DEVELOPER vol1

I recently facilitated a team leadership session with a University Women's Basketball team.  I went into the session equipped with an activity I felt would be engaging and facilitate a paradigm shift for the group.  The players were all active participants in the session and they completed the activity as prescribed, but still something was missing.  There was an elephant in the room.  There was an issue with this group that nobody felt comfortable addressing and bringing to the surface.

I left the session split.  My ego was pleased at the level of engagement and active participation.  I was even impressed with some of the insights presented by the group.  The servant leader in me, recognized that while I'd run a successful session I hadn't served the needs of the group.

After a long post session debrief with the Head Coach and considerable reflection I realized that there is no cookie cutter approach to facilitating leadership.  If there was, everyone would be good at it.  Contingency Theory to leadership suggests that there is no absolute correct approach to leadership development, but rather that the approach should be based on the needs of the participants and the complexities of the situation and environment.

I used to enjoy facilitating team leadership with groups I knew would be moved by the knowledge and insight I was able to share.  As I lean into the discomfort of facilitating sessions with groups that have complex team dynamics it is no longer about what I know, but rather how can I make what I know relative to their unique situation and their needs.  This was a stoking revelation that I took to my next team leadership session at a Student Leadership Academy.  I decided to be the "guide on the side", instead of the "sage on the stage" and allow the group to steer the destination of the session.  The result was an absolutely transformational experience shared between me and the participants.  With the exception of the lead in activity, I TOYF'd (Think On Your Feet) the session, trusting my knowledge of the subject matter and my abilities as a facilitator.

These growth experiences are only available to those who are willing to step outside their comfort zones, lean into the discomfort and practice faith over fear.  Relinquish control of the known, for the ambiguity of the unknown.  The known has it's value, however the unknown is quantum in nature, guided by rules while maintaining a sense of chaos.  This "chaordic" world is were greatness lives and where you truly get to "Know Thyself".  Thomas Hobbes professed that you can learn more by studying oneself, than by studying others: particularly the feelings that influence our thoughts and motivate our actions.  Hobbes stated "but to teach us that for the similitude of the thoughts and passions of one man, to the thoughts and passions of another whosoever looketh into himself and considereth what he doth when de does think, opine, reason, hope, fear, etc., and upon what grounds; he shall thereby read and know what are the thoughts and passions of all other men upon the like occasions".

MOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment